Friday, August 1, 2008

ondangwa.




"In the face of the oppressed I recognize my own face, and in the hands of the oppressor I recognize my own hands. Their flesh is my flesh, their blood is my blood, their pain is my pain, their smile is my smile. " -Henry Nouwen


i arrived in ondangwa on friday. it was a 9 hour bus ride, but this was not your ordinary bus. there are things you see on this bus that you don't see every day. i saw extraordinary things and throughout the ride there, we would make the most random stops. at times, i was scared to get off the bus for a bathroom break, because i was scared that when i got back the bus would be gone. however, i made it to ondangwa and was greeted by one of the most wonderful person i will ever meet, my namibian sister maggie. when we arrived to her place, her younger sister josephine and her niece Ndamangululwa Konghenda Yomwa (her name means God set me Free) were waitng outside for us. They are so beautiful and Ndamangululwa has so much joy and is always singing and dancing. There is no electricity here so the first night we just ate and cooked in the dark. i really couldn't see what we were eating but it involved us eating with our hands and it had the consistancy of play-dough.

this world is unlike any world i have ever been in, and i am learning so much from them. they have hardly anything and yet everything they have they offer to me. actyally, take back that statement, they have EVERYTHING i want, and i hope to learn everything. they are so rich in spirit and are so young and yet so alive in who they are. i am trying to live as they live, an not take shortcuts with the things that i have. i had a snack bag of wheat thins that i have been craving since my time here, but i would rather eat what they eat...and then leave the food for them when i leave. i feel so helpless at times, not knowing how to cook or wash my own clothes...i haven't bathed in a week because i don't know how to keep the neighborhood children from following me when i try to hide with my bowl of water and bathe. or maybe its just that i love being with them all, that i always want to be in their company.i came in hope, that i might encourge them, and yet i am the one who leaves with so much faith and love. it is scary at times being here and having people follow you or try to grab you becausee you look different and yet my fear is diminishing because the love i get from my namibian sisters. tomorrow my dear jesse arrives and i am so happy to be able to have a chance to share this love with another person. i am a bit homesick, and i miss my family and friends and yet i know that i have so much more to learn and love here. thank you so much for your prayers. i will update more tomorrow.

3 comments:

alexandra said...

oh venessa... i am so proud of you, my friend. it sounds like it's definitely been somewhat different than imagined, but for sure in a way that will grow you and has already, i'm sure. how scary [and cool] to be in a place where no one speaks your language. to go so far alone... praying for you friend. i am very glad jessie is joining you at this point in your journey... i can't wait to see all of your pictures. i am loving the few i've seen already! you are such a blessing to everyone you meet... as i'm sure you are in africa. take every moment in, you will be home soon enough.

Jana said...

What a beautiful post, Ness! I, too, am so proud of you . . . of your willingness to go in faith, to live as the natives do, to try new things (though scary and uncomfortable), to be there showing God's love to such an incredible people! Your pictures are incredible and I can't wait to see and hear more about your trip! May God continue to stretch you, grow you, and use you in mighty ways . . . and may he keep you safe throughout all of your travels. I love you, friend!!

Anonymous said...

Venessa, this is your cousin Hans. my mom and dad give you their best regards. we're all very proud of you and love you so much! we pray every day that you are safe and enjoying yourself. come back to us with lots of stories to share. we love you and we're always rooting for you.